How to Test Your Deadline Funnel Campaign
This article provides instructions for quickly testing your evergreen Deadline Funnel campaign without having to wait the duration of your funnel.
For example, if you have a Deadline Funnel campaign that is 10 days long, rather than going through the funnel and waiting the full 10 days, Deadline Funnel makes it easy to test what will happen before and after the deadline.
We have also included details on several tests you should consider running, depending on how you are using Deadline Funnel.
Note: This knowledgebase article is longer than most, as we wanted you to have step-by-step details and useful examples.
How to Manage Your Tracking:
Navigate inside your Deadline Funnel admin to Edit your campaign > Testing:
- You can check your personal 'Tracking Details' to see what is being tracked, when tracking was started, etc.
- You can click 'Clear Tracking' to clear your personal tracking if you've been testing your funnel and want to start fresh.
- Start by clicking the red 'Clear Tracking' button a couple of times (until you see a message that says 'Tracking cleared')
- Now navigate to 'Email Setup' to copy your email link as shown in this image:
- Paste the email link into a new browser tab and hit Return/Enter on your keyboard. When you follow the email link you should arrive at the 'Before' URL since you are either NOT being tracked yet or you ARE being tracked but your deadline has not yet expired.
- You can also navigate to Testing > Your Tracking Details to verify that your tracking has begun and see when your Deadline Date is:
- In the Deadline Funnel admin to Testing > Tracking Details, click the date in 'Tracking Started':
- Click a date on the calendar that is before your current tracking start date and long enough for the deadline to have expired. For this example, if you have a 3-day evergreen Deadline Funnel, I would change the start date to February 22 as shown here (You'll see a message that local tracking has been updated):
- To test this, take that same email link you just used and put it in a new browser tab. Hit Return/Enter.
- Your browser will now take you to the AFTER URL as listed in your Funnel Steps.
- Delete your tracking to make sure that you are treated as a new lead.
- Enter your funnel either by opt-in if you have integrated Deadline Funnel with your opt-in, or by clicking an email link.
- View your tracking and see the date that Deadline Funnel has set for your deadline:
- First, delete your tracking to make sure that you are treated as a new lead.
- Next, go to your opt-in form (this assumes you have already integrated Deadline Funnel with your opt-in).
- Opt-in using a NEW email address.
- View your tracking in the Deadline Funnel admin.
- Finally, go into your email service provider (AWeber, Ontraport, InfusionSoft, ActiveCampaign, etc.,) and verify that the contact record for the email address you used during the opt-in has the same deadline text.
- First make sure that you ARE being tracked on the first device (desktop or laptop is easiest). View your tracking details to confirm.
- Make sure that the deadline has NOT yet expired.
- Next, create an email with BOTH an email link and the Team Testing Link in the body of the email.
- Send the email to yourself.
- Open the email on your second device and click the link
- You will arrive at the BEFORE URL for your email link.
- To check your tracking, click the Team Testing Link from this second device and you should see the same details as you see on the first device.
How Anyone on Your Team Can Check Their Tracking:
Navigate to Testing and you will find a Team Testing Link:
This link can be shared with anyone on your team and they will be able to view and delete their own tracking.
Make sure you ONLY give this link to people on your team, as you don't want leads to delete their Deadline Funnel tracking.
Several Tests You Should Consider Running:
Test Example #1: Email Link, before and after deadline
Testing the Email Link BEFORE deadline:
Testing the Email Link AFTER deadline:
Now, let's use a very powerful feature of Deadline Funnel to test the AFTER deadline without waiting.
You have just changed the tracking in the Deadline Funnel database to act as if you arrived 4 DAYS AGO - regardless of when your tracking was actually started. Now Deadline Funnel will treat you as a lead that has waited too long to take action.
You can undo the 'tracking started' change you just made by clicking the date again and changing the date back to the original date, February 26 for this example.
You should now see that your deadline details show that your deadline has NOT expired yet.
Hopefully you can see how easy it is to adjust the tracking start date in Deadline Funnel so you can test different before and after scenarios.
Test Example #2: "Have I set the correct number of days for my evergreen deadline?"
To test if your deadline will expire exactly when you think it will (and to coordinate with your follow-up email schedule) here's what you do:
Test Example #3: "Is my opt-in integration working?"
If you're integrating Deadline Funnel with your opt-in form, here's how you can test that the integration is working as expected:
Test Example #4: "Will tracking work on mobile devices?"
Yes it will, and here's how to prove it.
Deadline Funnel uses multiple methods to track your leads so that they will see the correct deadline whether they're on desktop or mobile.
If your lead switches from desktop to mobile (or vice versa) on the same IP address (wi-fi network) then Deadline Funnel will find them by IP address and once located, put a new cookie on their second device that matches the tracking on their first device.
However if your lead switches from one device to another AND is on a different IP address, then Deadline Funnel needs to find them a different way (assuming no previous cookie is found).
So what we recommend is that you use email links in your followup emails, so Deadline Funnel can find them their email.
Here's how you can test mobile tracking if your visitor is on the same IP address, but using a different device:
You can go into the Deadline Funnel admin and adjust the days so that Deadline Funnel considers your deadline expired. Then click the same email link on your second device. You will arrive at the AFTER URL.
We've covered a lot of ground and you're now a Deadline Funnel testing Ninja! Go forth and be deadly.
If you have any questions, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org